When in the world did it become March? March of 2008 no less. Man, this year is just flying by. Whenever I hear a year somewhere in the late 90's (i.e. 1997) I think, "Oh, not too bad, just a few years ago." A few? Ahem. 11 years! What in the world. I just wanted to get that off my chest.
Besides the fact that this year is flying by, can I say how psyched I am it's spring? Okay, not officialy spring, but spring enough in spirit. Seriously, this is great. I'm even in spring mode in the house, winter-proofing it from anything dark, heavy, or too warm. Let's let the sun shine in. And in honor of this early springness, I'm currently way into yellow. Have you driven around lately? It's so GREEN! And with yellow flowers, EVERYWHERE! Oh man, this is my kind of life. Know what else is green that's amazing? Go check this out. So good.
Okay, enough rambling. Onto a point. Have you checked out www.goodreads.com? Um, it's amazing. It's like myspace for book worms, and it's completly wonderful. I think everyone needs to sign up. So go check it out. And for fun, let's do a bit of a blog poll. Favorite 5 Books...go! (In no particular order...)
1. The Kite Runner
2. Mark of the Lion Series
3. The Poisonwood Bible
4. The Alchemist
5. So tough...ummm. Ummmm. Wow. Okay, I'm going with the Twilight Series. But I do feel bad for leaving out... oh what the heck, top 6.
6. The Chronicles of Narnia. Wow, HP not anywhere on that list. Am I feeling okay?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

16 comments:
I'm totally with you on theat whole 90's thing! Even 2001 was 7 years ago. That's a long time. If I had a kid in 2001, they would be 7 right now. Crazy. Good thing I'm celibate... it's off to the convent for me. :o)
Haha, I also know exactly what you mean!! Even the late 1990s are now a decade ago. I am sooooo old.
I am too tired to be able to definitively pick my top five right now...but I like yours and besides HP the only ones that I might want to add are the Lord of the Rings books, The Heart is a Lonely Hunter, and Grapes of Wrath. And maybe The Good Earth. But then it's no longer a top five. Haha.
I want to go home and read now!!
I need to call or email you or something soon, for many reasons. But I have to work right now! Argh.
May I add these to the list (also in no particular order):
1. The Guards, by Ken Bruen
2. The Choirboys, by Joseph Wambaugh
3. LA Requiem by Robert Crais
4. The Once and Future King by TH White
5. Les Miserables
~Parker
Parker, wonderful selection. I commend you for being studious, intelligent, and for sticking to only 5 books. I added up my "Top 5" and I think it equaled 16 books. Hm.
Jen, way to be celibate. You're my hero. I always thought it'd be cool to live in a convent. Too bad I'm not catholic...
Ruth, I love that you said, "I like your top 5, but I'd exchange these..." which was like 5 books. Ha! did you get the tickets last night!?!?!?! Oh, and Kirst finished Eclipse. She wants Jacob to imprint on her. :)
Hee hee! I'm so glad she liked the books so much..and Jacob...
Yes, I bought our tickets!! And I found a great deal and saved us a lot of money! I was feeling pretty good until I realized that all of the money I saved will have to be spent on renewing Eric's passport and getting our visas (which of course will have to be expedited). Oh man. Don't you want to take a trip to the Chinese Embassy with me? =P
So I love how you and Ruth talk about me over blog comments. Makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside. Anyways, to my top five. I'm pretty sure that narrowing my favorite books to five is nearly impossible. I do like your list, but I still need to read Poisonwood Bible. Maybe HP would make the list but not Poison only because I have yet to read it. I guess that I will have to continue to think on this...
I hear you on time flying by. I was watching the best songs of the 90's on tv the other day and couldnt believe that some of them were from so long ago! it was crazy. anyway, I hope you are doing well!
Ok this blog offends me (Parker, stop reading this). I am not sure why you have rejected HP. Perhaps it is because you have the whole series in hardback now and you feel you aren't "waiting for anything." Well there you go. I'm just a little hurt on the Potter side of things.
-Michael-who just got the best HP thing of the year and is trying to decide if he should share it with Morgan or not-Shaw
Michael, you big baby. You know my love for HP is deep and undying. I just love way tooooo many books, and my top ones are in constant fluctuation. Actually, it's just there are too many top ones to compile a top 5. I actually read 2 new books lately, and those have now been added to my favs. I didn't even mention 'Til We Have Faces', or 'Molokai'...and did you notice The Time Travelers Wife was no where present? So thank you for your concern, but HP is up there even if it wasn't reflected on the list that day.
Please tell me the exciting news.
I'm sorry I called you a baby.
Morgen, you should not be sorry. Call him a baby. I do. Its fun! Like Checkers!
And Shaw, frankly, i am disgusted that you would mention Harry Potter on a neutral blog. Your warning does me little good unless i read who the comment is from before i read it. And what sense would that make? If it wouldn't end this game of ours, i would press the point. But till then i will let you dangle, like a worm on a hook.
Morgen, listen, thanks for the shout out, but honestly, have you even heard of any of the books in my top 5? excepting LeMis. of course.
~Parker
PS: Morgen, you and Jon are so dear to my heart. Thanks for letting me use your blog to give Shaw his daily dose of 40 lashes.
Parker, it's true. You're intellect is high and above ours. I have heard of LM (of course), and The Once and Future King...I even know that's the book what's his name is reading in X-Men in prison. How smart am I? Right?
Don't punish Michael for mentioning HP. He warned. Don't try and steal his freebies just cause you're mean.
But you can still give him 40 lashes.
Morgen, i did not mean to suggest my choices were intellectual. 3 of the 5 were pure pulp fiction and the other two were the ones you heard of.
Also, Shaw has no freebies left. He is out. One more reference and i win!...granted i dont actually get anything out of this bet...man, that was kinda stupid actually...but stil...victory in spirit.
~Parker
Wow, I hopped on the boat late! Thanks SOOO much for the book Morgen, I feel totally loved, and gifts isn't even my love language.
Anything about books lights my fire. But I agree with the above sentiments. I can't boil it down to just five, so I'll go with the first five all-time favorites that pop into my head.
5. Stepping Heavenward - Prentiss
4. The Idiot - Dostoevsky
3. The Berlin Diaries - Shirer
2. Jayne Eyre - Bronte
1. Future Grace - Piper
Drat! They're different already! Oh well.
So many comments about books! I guess being a mom, I have taken a sabatical from books for I have plenty on my nightstand they are just not being read. Talk to Greg about "Till We Have Faces" it is his favorite fiction book. He has read it several times.
I actually wanted to comment about Spring. I love Spring! So many beautiful colors! God is awesome!
Yeah Donna! Thanks for commenting. Michael gave me all this crud for not listing Harry Potter on my Top 5, but I told him there were so many that I didn't list that I absolutely adored. Til We Have Faces would be one of those! I love that book!
It's true, yeah for spring!
Ahhh the nineties...at lease they were better than the eighties...right? haha. :) I have that same problem with cars. I hear a car was made in the nineties and I think that it is not that old, but then I remember is has to be as least 9 years old, haha. Man time is flying by. Spring is now here, and the weather last weekend was amazing. Vespa riding time, and everything is so green after all the rain we got this year. God is good, and we are so lucky to live where we do. California baby. :) With this whole Goodreads thing I think I am living it vicariously through you since you tell me about all the books you read and about all the books everyone else has read that you want to read. The main challenge for me is keeping these hundreds of books straight, haha. :) I love you baby!!!
Post a Comment