Tuesday, September 25, 2007

I'm a Ravenpuff???


Lately, my friends and I have been discussing Harry Potter with all the fervency of a pre-book season. But even with the ending of this series, the discussions go on and consume our thoughts. On Sunday, we began with a simple discussion of the House colors, which then turned into all of us wondering, "What house would we be sorted into?" I had taken a quiz once that said I was Ravenclaw. I don't really know much about the houses beyond the simple "Gryffindor's are brave, Slytherin's are mean (I mean cunning), Ravenclaw's are smart, and Hufflepuffs are, well, they're just the rest." Michael then confirmed to me that I was Ravenclaw.

"Morgan, you're Ravenclaw" Michael states with certain knowledge (as he does with all of HP).


"Really? That's what the quiz said. Why do you say that?"


"Because you ARE."

Well, that settles it I guess. I tend not to disagree with most of what Michael says about HP, so, maybe I am Ravenclaw. But, let's do a bit of research, eh? There's many good sites out there that gave some insight into not only the houses, but the dorms, characters, etc. Of course, there's the most info on Slytherin and Gryffindor. A great site I found is here, and gives lots of really interesting info on all the houses. Ravenclaws are described as thus: "Ravenclaw values intelligence, creativity, wit and wisdom. 'Wit beyond measure is man's greatest treasure' is an oft-repeated Ravenclaw proverb." I do value knowledge and creativity. I would like to be known as an intelligent being, one that desires knowledge, and willingly passes it onto others. I believe in a creative God, and think he endowed each of us with a different capacity for creating, and for beauty. To me, Ravenclaw is a noble house. I like that I would belong in Ravenclaw.

But it's never THAT simple. I took a couple more tests, and a few put me in Hufflepuff. Okay, more research time. While Hufflepuff is unfortunately known as the house that had the idea to "put all the appalling duffers in one house, calling it Hufflepuff, and giving it the sign of a badger".


They're generally known as the rejects, or the "kind" ones (which makes kindness sound a bit pathetic next to bravery, cunning, and wisdom). But I found this definition, and really like it. "Hufflepuff, founded by Helga Hufflepuff, values hard work, loyalty, tolerance, and fair play above all else." Wait, that sounds like a really cool house. And let's not forget the most notable Hufflepuff of all time, the courageous, wise, loyal Cedric Diggory. I don't think anyone would dare call him a duffer. In fact, Cedric is one of my top 3 favorite characters (following only Snape and Sirius Black). Who wouldn't love a friend like Cedric? Who doesn't appreciate those people that are loyal to a fault, kind to all, and willing to befriend the rejects. To me, it sounds like Jesus would be a Hufflepuff, and we go and make fun of this house! I think Hufflepuff is the most noble, simply for the reason it is seen as the furtherest from that. This world honors that which elevates mans own power and wisdom, not that which values putting others before you.

So, which am I? I think Michaels right. I AM Ravenclaw. Don't think I'm here, stroking my ego, boasting in my own intelligence. I think I'm semi-smart, have a desire to learn, and I really do love school. I revel in creativity and the beauty that it reveals. But do I value those traits above people? Yes, I probably do most of the time, becoming a bit (okay, a lot) judgmental of those that don't have those traits...those Hufflepuffs, perhaps? But all that judgmentalism is simply a jealousy that they can love people more than theories, and I'm stuck in the corner with my books.

Hopefully, as I grow in Christ, I'll become more Hufflepuff, and less Ravenclaw. God made me who I am, and I doubt he wants me to forsake all knowledge and learning. But I can give it a rest at times in order to love those he's placed in my life. So everyone be patient with me as I LEARN to be Hufflepuff. :)

6 comments:

Ruth said...

Hey! I'm hufflepuff too! I took this test http://www.personalitylab.org/tests/ccq_hogwarts.htm and scored 92 out of 100 for Hufflepuff, 73 for Ravenclaw, 65 for Gryffindor, and a mere 36 for Slytherin.

Ruth said...

By the way, I've never gotten the feeling that you were a stuck-up Ravenclaw, frowning down on me from your lofty perch. Ha ha. I think you are a good mixture of both, a helper and an idealist. You inspire me!

Ruth said...

*Sigh* Last comment, I promise. How unfair is it that I live too far away to participate in such discussions with you and your friends? Double Boo.

Morgan Jane said...

Ruth, I think you're such a good example of what a Hufflepuff is! You're quite loyal and very trustworthy. You're such a hard worker (I still can't believe all those lists you did for Taiwan of things to see, places to go, etc...!) and a friend above all else. No, no, no, you inspire ME!

Coltrane said...

Baby I love you no matter what harry potter house you are in...even if you were in slytherin with all the mean people like me. Not all of us can be pretty creampuffs like Ruth and her 36 out of 100 for slytherin. Come and join me on the dark side of Harry Potter houses, haha. I love you and you are not a stuck-up ravenclaw.

Ruth said...

Pretty creampuff??? Ha ha ha. You crack me up, oh evil one. But I know deep down you're a creampuff too, Jon. =P